Sunday, November 18, 2012

Word of the Week(s)!

*I started Word(s) of the Week ages ago so that I could share all the new, brilliant, crazy words I kept coming across in my readings of fiction, articles, blogs, etc.*

This week (month) I'm thanking two brilliant ladies for words.

From Casual Vacancy, by J.K. Rowling:

Obstreperous (pg 53):
1. Attended by, or making, a loud and tumultuous noise; boisterous.
"The obstreperous mirth swiftly turned into yells of dismay."
2. Noisily and stubbornly defiant.

I think my toddler can be obstreperous.... 

Prurience (pg 216):  The quality of being prurient.
1. Uneasy with desire; itching; especially, having a lascivious anxiety or propensity; lustful.
2. Arousing or appealing to sexual desire.
3. Curious, especially inappropriately so.

From Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley:

Rembrant
Syndics (pg 31)
1. A government official, a magistrate, especially one of the Chief Magistrates of Geneva.
2. (law) An agent of a corporation, or of any body of people engaged in a business enterprise; an advocate or patron; an assignee.


Maybe I should turn this into "new words whenever I get time to share them"....?

No comments:

Post a Comment