Saturday, March 2, 2013

Words!

I know it's been a while, but I have words that I want to share!

Stately Argosy
*I started Word(s) of the Week ages ago so that I could share all the new, brilliant, crazy words I kept coming across in my readings of fiction, articles, blogs, etc.*

From Sonnets From The Portuguese, by Elizabeth Barrett Browning:

Sonnet II: Amerce: To impose a fine on. 

Sonnet III: Athwart: From side to side; Across the path (of something); In opposition of. 

An Argosy
Sonnet XIX: 
Argosies: Plural of argosy 
Argosy: A large merchant ship. 

Sonnet XIX: 
Purpureal: Of a purple colour. 
Via Wikimedia Commons

Sonnet XXVII: 
Asphodel: Eurasian plant of the lily family, typically having long slender leaves and flowers borne on a spike. 

 Sonnet XLIV: 
Eglantine: A Eurasian rose, Rosa eglanteria, having prickly stems, fragrant leaves, pink flowers and red hips. Another word for Sweet Briar. 

via Wikimedia Commons

From Undead Reckoning, by Mike Slabon

(pg 337) Wattle and Daub: "Wattle and daub is a composite building material used for making walls, in which a woven lattice of wooden strips called wattle is daubed with a sticky material usually made of some combination of wet soil, clay, sand, animal dung and straw." 

No comments:

Post a Comment