Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Random #90 - Keeping Quiet

I don't talk a lot about my beliefs on either of my blogs. It pops up here and there, if I'm talking about parenting or wanting the same opportunities for both my daughter and my son. I might have more in the beginning of my blogging life, but I have shied away from it over time. Part of the reason is that I'm a little scared of the Internet. Too many times, I see people being bullied and trolled online. The idea of it fills me with anxiety.

Years ago, when I first joined Twitter, I made what I thought was an innocuous comment about Hemmingway and drinking and writing. Then someone who was a new follower replied to me and we had a brief exchange in which she ended up telling me how awful drinking is. While yes, excessive drinking is bad, I'm a wine lover. I even feel weird admitting that. More and more now, I'm seeing things in the world happening, that is giving me a different kind of anxiety, a fear about what is doing to happen in the world moving forward. Though it still makes me tense, I feel like I should be more vocal. How am I going to handle this, how loud am I going to be moving forward? I don't know. I just don't feel like I can be quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment